Thursday, July 29, 2010

Diamond in the Rough?



I found this chair frame at an antique store yesterday. I didn't buy it, but I'm really hoping it's still there today because I can't stop thinking about it! It's $22 and I think it has a world of possibilities. It's in pretty decent shape, and I love the look of the wood. It reminds me a lot of the reclaimed wood stuff from Restoration Hardware.

I've never recovered a chair, let alone one that was missing a seat and a back all together. But there's a first time for everything, right? My dad and husband are both handy woodworkers and have all the tools necessary to do a project like this, so I don't think it would be too difficult... so... I'm going to do it! (If the chair is still there, that is. I'm hurrying over there right after I get off work! Keep your fingers crossed!)

These are some of my ideas, courtesy of my trusty paint program. :)



I absolutely love the look of old grain sacks. This would be a somewhat pricey option, but it would look A-MAZING!



Or to get the look of a grain sack without the price tag, I could do what Kathleen did here. She bought unbleached cotton fabric from Walmart for $3.50 a yard and with a little bit of fabric paint and tape, she made her own grain sack that looked just as good as the real thing!



I could go with something a little different like an all-over print. This French-y fabric is from Ballard Designs. And it would match my lamps!



I have a stack of burlap coffee sacks like this out in my garage. I've been wanting to find a use for them, and this could work. Eh. Nice, but I'm REALLY loving the grain sack look.

I hope I'm not getting in over my head. Has anyone done this before? Any tips?

2 comments:

  1. Oh I do hope it's still there. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, love them all! If it is meant to be (like your other lamp) it will be there. My vote is grain sack (and you already have it!)

    ReplyDelete